Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Google Image Search: faeroe islands

In a message dated 27/08/2003 09:28:56 GMT Standard Time, xyz@zyx.dk writes:

snip

How is your daughter?

I like your genealogy log.




thank you my first fan mail :-)

it is an answer to inexpensive self publishing

OK it would be nice to make money out of my writing
but as long as I keep my expenditure under my (small) income thts is not really necesary

so I am able to live my life as a perpetual student, researcher and writer.

My daughter is still groggy and out of school her mother tells me.

woke up laughing today,
because I had idea for a film script based on a fat man who sits on things which break,
- part of the story of my life . . never lean back in a white plastic garden chair.

Do realise that getting enough sleep is critical for mental as well as physical health,
so alarm clocks are banned here unless there is an early plane to catch (usually because it's the cheapest fare).

The Faeroese have the right idea about time, about 15 minutes late for everything.

A musician should meet up at least 15 minutes before the performance, in the opera houses of the world you get dismissed if you don't.

But conducting the band GHM in the barracks, wooden classrooms, at Kommuneskolen Torshavn I used to arrive about 645pm and unlock the room and rearrange the furniture but the majority of band members came in after 700pm. At first I worried because I was paid from 700pm to 1000pm as a teacher in further education, but then I accepted the local unwritten rules and we always stareted exactly at 715pm.
They used to leave their homes at 700pm. Life on the Faeroes is dominated by the sea and the weather and sometimes you may be stuck on a small island delayed for weeks because of adverse conditions.

The Jamaicans are even better with time I am told, the London funeral directors know they often come to the funeral 30 minutes late, and over run 45, making delays enough to cause a queue of funerals stretching outside the crem. gates and blocking the main roads.
Probably a myth but the invitations might give a time 30 minutes early . . .

Yesterday I met two researchers doing Caribean genealogy at the Family History Centre in South Ken. and I had a great day in London yesterday, but I have not finished my second cup, (glass!) of breakfast tea 1133am UK time yet.

So more more about that in the next blogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home