Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Avoid guesswork

from my email ==== GLAMORGAN Mailing List ====

I have a copy of a Birth Certificate for my Grandmother in the "When and
where born" field the entry reads;

- Nineteenth April 1889 ,Bow Street,Broncastellan,R.S.D -

What does R.S.D stand for - if its a silly question - apologies

one answer :-
I think it is something like 'Rural Sanitary District'. Broncastellan is
just near Plas Gogerddan, Penrhyncoch, I believe, south east of Bow Street.

One source tells me:

'Rural Sanitary Districts existed nationally from 1875 to 1894. Their
purpose was to maintain and improve public health services in rural areas,
although they had less powers than Urban Sanitary Districts. See this URL
from The Great Britain Historical GIS

my answer:-
go fishing in
the Catalogue (formerly PROCAT)

>> You ran a search on "Broncastellan"
There are 11 results within The Catalogue. Hits 1 to 11 are shown
below sorted by catalogue reference.

<< style="font-weight: bold;">Registration Sub-District: 2
you better learn to beware of incautious guesswork by the willing souls on the net :-)

Why search The National Archives' new website?

Because Wales was administered from London for hundreds of years
and the hierarchical structure of the archives reflects that of the
administration

time for breakfast NO BRUNCH by now
on a grey rainy day typical of my holidays in Wales brings happy memories

better do some blogging next

Hugh W

I was a bit hard on the other guy - but what does a birth have to do with better sewers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home