Saturday, September 27, 2003

Subject: Re: Advice Needed
Date: 27/09/2003, 17:06
From: Xxxx < xxxx.whitby@xxxxxx.co.uk >
To: Hugh Watkins bloggery36@aol.com

Thanks for advice.
Tracing Jones in Wales, and I thought I had it hard.
Good luck in all you do.
Xxxx


----- Original Message -----
From: Hugh Watkins
To: Xxxx
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2003 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: Advice Needed

Xxxxx wrote:
Thank you for all the information you sent me, looks like I'm going to be a very busy boy over the next few weeks.



Years friend, it takes years - new stuff on the web , new archives indexed or discoverd.

Apart from my two brothers, who like me have no knowledge of our father's early life or his family, before he married our mother and I have no other relatives to get any info from; do you have any advice on how I can be sure the people that I put in my family history are my relatives.

Slowly build up evidence

I was thinking about that, I have the Jones problem in Raglan MON
when a Jones marries a Jones once I'm back behind my personal knowledge or family papers I am in the same position as you


Collect the death certificates of the difficult people
the informant might be a close relative
the place of birth could be incorrect, and the age too

look at local archives and local newpapers
electoral rolls sometimes give the previous address

The only way I can be certain of the Jones will be by making a one place study of all the Jones in Raglan from 1880 backwards
in your case this will help
http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/census/census1911.htm

The 1911 Census
Midnight Sun/Mon 2/3rd April 1911
Not available until January 2012

will help me too :-) so 8 years 3 months to go and I will be 76 years old

I brought some books on genealogy but they don't seem to cover this sort of thing. Any suggestions or advice on clarifying family members or the best/good books to get on genealogy for a beginner would be much appreciated.


read the webpages on www.familysearch.org
many good guides

visit a family history centre near you

Was your father married twice ?

You may have knowledgable half siblings or cousins

good luck

Hugh W

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home