Sunday, September 05, 2004

from the Monmouthshire list:-
Hello, please could anyone on the list be able to tell me regarding the IGI,

my reply:-

The I.G.I. (International Genealogical Index) was created for use by members of the Church of Jesus Christ the Latter-day Saints.

The "Temple Ready" trees are prepared and submitted as a spiritual exercise and may only be altered by the contributor.

Some of the transcriptions are old and not up to modern standards

Barry Ruck maintains some FAQs including http://homepage.ntlworld.com/barry.ruck/FAQIGI.htm

"There are TWO sources for the entries in the I.G.I., and they are not equally accurate.

These are as follows:

(1) Extracted Records.
The church has extracted records from various registers to produce indices to those registers, and used to process these indices through the temples and onto the I.G.I. as a result.
The policy here was to only index registers for which no entry was dated later than 31st December 1865, although this wasn't always strictly followed. As a result, entries from this source (which currently account for about 83% of the entries in the I.G.I.) primarily relate to events occurring on or before this date.

Records in this category can be identified by the fact that in the entry on the CD-ROM version of the I.G.I., the source is described as "Extracted..." and these records are generally accurate, although there are still errors therein.

(2) Personal Submission.
Members of the church who are researching their ancestry have submitted entries arising from their own research, using the best information they have at the time. As a result, such records frequently contain errors of many forms, and the records can relate to any time period.

Records in this category can be identified by the fact that in the entry on the CD-ROM version of the I.G.I., the source is described as "Submitted..." and these records should be treated with suspicion until proven correct from more reliable sources.

The church has now discontinued the practice of submitting extracted records through the temples and onto the I.G.I., so no new extractions will appear on the I.G.I. as such.
However, some extracted (and other) records that were submitted through the temples prior to 1970 are not currently included on the I.G.I., so future releases of the I.G.I. may still contain extracted records from that time period.

The coverage of parishes in the IGI is not complete, both because some parishes have not allowed their records to be filmed,

[including the Church in Wales as a whole - so only some bishop's transcripts held at - Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru - National Library of Wales are included in the IGI]

and because not all parishes whose records have been filmed were extracted.

It should also be remembered that the I.G.I. is only an Index and is neither complete nor totally accurate.
Anything that you find in it should be checked against the original register, and the absence of an entry does not mean that it did not take place."

One of the Gwent archivists told me that permission for Family History Library to film has been granted at last

The Family History Library
was founded in 1894 to gather genealogical records and assist members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with their family history and genealogical research
- Largest library of its kind in the world
- Open to the general public at no charge
- Visited by an estimated 2,000 patrons or more each day
more http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHL/frameset_library.asp


I hardly ever use the IGI but concentrate on census and parish registers
and I have got to go to Glamorgan county record office looking for a Swansea birth next

My work with Gwent parish registers has hardly begun but studying a village is well worth while and not too big a job

The Society of Genealogists library in London has many indexes to Monmouthshire PRs but the details are only in the Gwent archives and are unlikely to be on line for many years

Denmark's national Archive is putting TIF images on line of all their PRs up to 1891
but that is another story

Danish Census and Church Books : Welcome http://www.rootsweb.com/~dnkcen/index.html

Danish family history with Hugh: "How to find your Danish roots,
or your cousins abroad" http://www.rootsweb.com/~dnkcen/en/hugo.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home