Friday, November 18, 2005

PHOTO FRAME ARCHIVING

My husband's Aunt had a beautiful framed wedding photograph (taken 1912) of her parents. We wanted to make a copy of it and when we took it out of the frame discovered not only their marriage certificate but her mother's confirmation certificate beneath the photo as well. The confirmation certificate was an especially valuable discovery because we previously had no idea where she had been born in "Germany." We were able to learn that she, in fact, was born in a "German" town, but one that was variously under German, Russian and Polish rule during her lifetime. It is currently in Poland.

For years I kept my son's school photos "archived" in the same frame. I still do the same with my granddaughter's photos. I'll bet a lot of others do the same thing.

So, check behind those framed photos. You never know what treasures you'll find.

Bev Stedman
--
Thanks to Bev for today's Quick Tip! If you have a tip you would like to share with researchers, you can send it to: mailto:ADNeditor@ancestry.com


Direct ancestors aren't the only people I want to research. I believe that studying an entire family group is important. When I'm working on my direct ancestors, I want to know when and where they were born, where in the sequence of family births they were, and the relationships they had with their siblings and other people. I can't tell you how many times I've reached the dreaded brick wall with one direct ancestor, only to sidestep to one or more siblings' records and achieve a successful breakthrough! Even if I don't have a brick wall to penetrate, I like to learn as much as I can about the family group, including all the siblings.

Just this past week, I decided to investigate a story my mother had told me about one of her mother's brothers. His name was Charles Warner Holder but all the nieces and nephews referred to him as "Uncle Dutch," although I've been unable as yet to determine why that moniker was used.

read the rest in Ancestry Daily News

and thanks to George G. Morgan of Lee County Genealogical Society

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home