Thursday, July 31, 2008

Købnhavn dødebladene

Børge Fogsgaard - Home: "I want to present various data. One of my great interests is history in its many different disciplines. I am however especially interested in “daily life” in Denmark in the 18th and 19th century. As a by-product of my dissertation I have made my data base of Danish civil servants (incl. officers and pastors) available and hope in the future to be able to offer more material. I have also made a data base of my very extended family accessible. I have been interested in family history since I was in my early twenties and have the last 30 to 40 years collected a lot of data. All information of living people is of course blocked in order to respect their privacy."

You will probably have noticed some menu items and articles on my site that are not translated into English. They all deal with a new project that is keeping me busy. From 1893 to 1923 the police in Copenhagen (the municipality) registered all inhabitants with names, occupation, date of birth, place of birth, spouse, date of death and address. All inhabitants that died during these 30 years were collected in a special roll, called “Polities Dødeblade”.

I am right now transcribing the roll, which contains more that 100.000 deaths. As I transcribe I also add markers for social class, birth region etc. As you can imagine it will take some time before I am done. I started the project in November 2006 and expect to finish the transcription in the spring of 2008. And first then the fun begins! I am really looking forward to see what I kind of demographic results I can get from the database.

As a spinoff I also made a database of the streets of Copenhagen. Have a look!


Man behøver faktisk ikke at gå på Kbhs stadsarkiv for at finde oplysningerne
i dødebladene.
Børge Fogsgaard har indtastet dem alle og lagt dem ud på sin hjemmeside
http://www.fogsgaard.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home